🐶 $50 off dog DNA tests | Shop Now

🐱 $50 off cat DNA tests | Shop Now

Free US shipping & returns

Can Dogs Eat Grapes? Understanding the Dangers and Actions to Take
Dog Care

Can Dogs Eat Grapes? Understanding the Dangers and Actions to Take

The day was perfect until your dog decided to feast on grapes. And now you're in the emergency room of an animal hospital. Cases like these are not unusual. Can dogs eat grapes? Well, the answer would be no. Grapes or raisins are poisonous for dogs. And grapes in juices, jams, or any other form are dangerous for dogs. You must keep them away from their access. 

Are Grapes Bad for Dogs?

Grapes and raisins are highly toxic for dogs because they can damage the kidneys and may even result in death. It is still unknown which substance causes grape toxicity in dogs. 

However, they cannot metabolize flavonoids, tannins, and polysaccharides in grapes, and this could be the explanation for why grapes are dangerous for dogs. Let’s go deeper.

What Makes Grapes and Raisins So Dangerous for Dogs?

For a long time, the component causing toxicity in grapes and raisins was unidentified, and it was speculated that salicylate (an aspirin-like drug) or mycotoxin (a fungal toxin) may be the toxin. However, a recent study in the Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care suggested that tartaric acid may be the culprit causing toxicity in dogs. 

The resemblance between grape toxicity and a case in which a dog consumed play dough made with cream of tartar got the authors to realize the substance may be tartaric acid all this time as it is present in tamarinds, grapes, and cream of tartar in high quantities. And these cause the same kidney damage.

What are the Signs of Grape or Raisin Toxicity in Dogs?

The initial signs of grape or raisin toxicity typically appear within several hours of eating grapes or raisins, which may include loss of appetite and weakness. More grave signs of kidney failure are apparent 24 to 48 hours following consuming the fruit. They may be nausea, uremic breathing, and abdominal pain. 

What Are the Symptoms of Grape Poisoning in Dogs?

Eating grapes affects the kidneys and can cause kidney failure, which can be fatal. The symptoms of grape poisoning may include:

  • Vomiting

  • Diarrhea

  • Increased thirst

  • Loss of appetite

  • Being lethargic

  • Ammonia-like smell in breathing

  • Dehydration (dry nose or mouth)

A more severe symptom of kidney failure in dogs is excessive urination, which leads to decreased urine production. Eventually, the kidneys' functions stop, and the dog may not produce urine as the poisoning progresses. Also, the blood pressure may increase badly, and the dog may collapse. 

a dog eating out of a bowl on the floor
a dog eating out of a bowl on the floor

What Should You Do if Your Dog Eats a Grape or Raisin?

If your dog has eaten a grape or raisin, immediately call their veterinarian, ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, or Pet Poison Helpline. It is better to get your pup checked and not take risks. Also, with toxic substances, getting the poisoning diagnosed and treated timely can save your dog from kidney failure. 

What Is the Treatment for Grape Toxicity? 

Grape poisoning attacks kidneys, and preventing their damage is important. And for this penetration of toxins must be obstructed. 

According to the article by VCA Animal Hospitals, decontaminating the dog instantly by causing vomiting and dispensing activated charcoal is probably the best way to treat the poisoning. It prevents the toxin absorption from the stomach and intestines. It is significant to induce vomiting because grapes and raisins can stay in the stomach for a long time.

After that the dog may need more treatment, such as intravenous fluids to lessen the kidney damage, you must hospitalize the dog for a few days. Besides that drugs may also be dispensed to help control blood pressure, nausea, and blood flow to the kidneys. 

Conclusion

Various fruits are toxic for dogs, which includes grapes and raisins. It’s important to prevent your dog from eating grapes to protect their kidneys from damage because the toxin in grapes badly affects them. Prioritize your pet's health and well-being and constantly supervise what they eat.

Frequently Asked Questions

How many grapes can a dog eat? Will one grape hurt a dog?

Grapes are toxic for dogs and may cause kidney failure. One grape may not hurt a dog's health. However, it is advised to avoid eating even one grape or raisin.

What should I do if my dog ate one grape?

Even if your dog eats one grape, contact their veterinarian and get your pup checked before their health gets affected because grapes in any amount are toxic for dogs.

Will one grape hurt a 50-pound dog?

One grape may not hurt. But avoid risking your dog's health, and do not let them eat even one grape.

What fruit can't dogs eat? Can dogs have grapes? 

Fruits that are toxic for dogs and should not be eaten include avocados, cherries, grapes, and tomatoes. 

Can your dog eat grapes?

No, the dog cannot eat grapes because they are poisonous to your dog. They contain a toxin dangerous for their renal function. 

Can a dog eat green grapes?

Grapes of any form or color (green, red, dried, seeded, seedless, etc.) are dangerous for dogs, and they should avoid eating them.